As you may already know, WhatsApp links your account with your phone number and you cannot use the messaging app without this number.
But what if your phone number changes? Fortunately, changing your number in WhatsApp is a relatively simple process. However, there are a few points you need to keep in mind before doing so.
If you are changing your phone at the same time, you should change your phone number in WhatsApp on your old device first before signing up on the new device.
Here, we’ll show you exactly what you have to do.
Requirements for changing numbers on WhatsApp
Before you begin the transition to a new phone number, there are two important things that you should check first:
- Make sure your new SIM card is inserted (in your old phone if you are also switching phones) and that you can receive SMS and phone calls on the new phone number. You need an active mobile data connection to change the number.
- That is, you still have access to your old account. That means checking if your old phone number is still registered in WhatsApp. This is very important if you want to keep your chat history. You can see which number is currently registered by tapping Settings and then your user profile picture.
You’ll want to notify your contacts about the number change because otherwise people won’t be able to contact you on WhatsApp after you change the number until you send them a message.
The good news is that you don’t have to do this manually. WhatsApp may notify your contacts of the change. The people you’re chatting with will be notified automatically.
When you change your phone number in WhatsApp, the following happens:
- Your account information (name, profile info, individual and group chats) will be transferred from the old phone number to the new phone number.
- The old account will be deleted and no longer appear in your list of WhatsApp contacts.
Note: You will keep all your media and chat history if you change to a new number on the same phone. Chat history can only be transferred to a new phone if you have made a backup before. Also, for now, you can only switch to a new phone of the same type (iPhone -> iPhone or Android -> Android). WhatsApp is developing a solution to switch from iPhone to Android, but it is only available on Samsung phones.
How to transfer phone number in WhatsApp
To transfer your account to a new phone number, follow these steps:
- Open WhatsApp and on Android, tap the ellipsis; gears on iPhone.
- Tap Settings and then Accounts.
- Tap Change number.
- You will see a warning that the process cannot be undone. Click Next.
- Enter your old phone number and your new phone number. Make sure the country is set correctly for both numbers. Click Next.
- On the next screen, you have the option to notify your contacts of the change. You can choose between “All contacts”, “Contacts I chatted with” or “User defined” if you only want to notify certain contacts of the change. Make your selection and tap Done.
- Verification happens via SMS sent to you on your new SIM card. Enter the verification code to complete the phone number change.
If you are switching to a new phone you can now create a backup (go to Settings > Chats > Chat backup) and when you are sure the backup has been created you can insert the SIM your new phone, install WhatsApp and enter your new number (not the old one) and then you will see the option to import your chat backup.
Last, What’s In Your Box sent you details about the topic “How to change your phone number in WhatsApp❤️️”.Hope with useful information that the article “How to change your phone number in WhatsApp” It will help readers to be more interested in “How to change your phone number in WhatsApp [ ❤️️❤️️ ]”.
Posts “How to change your phone number in WhatsApp” posted by on 2021-08-18 14:34:00. Thank you for reading the article at whatsinyourbox.org